Friday, October 19, 2007

Youth Ministry Audible


Tuesday night at Collision, I had to call an audible. Maybe I am over glamorizing the life of a youth minister, but I felt for a few short seconds like Payton Manning. As I walked into the Annex to teach about 20 high school students about the importance of "caring about people far from God" I realized that of the 20 students that were there only about 10 of them I had any knowledge of them having a relationship with Jesus. I have found that at times it is hard to get students to be convinced of the importance of sharing Jesus with friends, but I have to believe it is much more difficult to get students who don't have a relationship with Jesus to share Jesus with their friends. Call me crazy, but I don't think I am that good of a teacher.

So as I was walking into the Annex I called an audible, I called a play that I had run before that had the potential to be effective. Like a strong off-tackle run behind a good offensive line(keeping with football audible theme). I had student think of questions they would like to ask God and then have them write those questions of small pieces of paper. Then Jason Davison and I attempted to answer the questions as accurately as we could.

A crazy thing happened, God showed up. The typical lesson at Collision will last anywhere from 15-35 minutes, Tuesday we went for over an hour. At the end of the hour students were still engaged and eager to learn. It was a dream come true for a youth minister, and that was before God put the icing on the cake. After the Q & A ended a student who has started coming in the last couple weeks came up to Jason and I and asked what he had to do to get baptized.

It was an amazing night to be a youth minister at Suncrest.

No comments: